Community‎ > ‎

History of the school


The original village school building first opened as a school in 1850 and also served as a chapel. The adjoining All Saints church was built in 1859 and from that point the building was used as a school. Sadly, due to declining numbers over a number of years, D
evon County Council closed the school in 2009. 

The Book of Sparkwell (2001, by Pam James ISBN 1841141127, currently out of print) has some great stories from the past including children taking packed lunches wrapped in cabbage leaves and electricity arriving at the school in 1937. We would love to hear any more memories from anyone who attended the school!

Due to the hard work of a group of parents and villagers, the life of the school continues since it re-opened as a Free School in 2013. There is a new build that opened in January 2016 on land behind the Parish Hall, the photo below on the left shows  the site before work started and on the right is the finished school in use just 20 months later. However, the lovely old building
will continue to be used for educational purposes by the school.